Are you are a teenager out there waiting to explore the world and get used to all its fantasies and excitements? .. If yes .. These are the things you really need to know before going deep into the dramatic world of 20s ..
1. You need to know who your true friends are.
This is the most important thing you need to know, Because the environment is extremely impactful in your life and your friends are a huge part of it. Also because your friends are the people to either make positive or negative impact on you. Be careful of who you spend your time with .. You may not know now, but they really influence you in some kind of way.
The people you call friends should always be there to help you, support you and push you into challenges that will help you grow. You are also a friend to someone.. So you should do the same.
2.You are Never too Young.
I can’t stress this enough. We guide ourselves by social norms that we usually take for granted. Don’t listen to anybody saying that you’re too young to do that, or do this. Just because they did things in a different manner than you, doesn’t mean they know better. If I were to give you an advice, it would sound like: “the earlier, the better”.
3. Set your goals.
Let’s say you got in a taxi and you didn’t tell the driver where to go. How do you expect to get to where you are going to?, Or maybe .. You don’t even know where you are going to ..You need to have a destination, you need to have goals! Having a purpose in life is important if you want to achieve fulfillment.
4. Find your edge / talent.
I think it’s really valuable for you to find your edge / talent. What do I mean by this? Well, find the thing that you are good at, the one that you are passionate about and the thing that you can get paid for. Try to intersect all those things and that’s your edge right there. You won’t end up like most of the people who can’t wait for the weekend or have a really hard time going to work in the morning because they dread it.
5. Stay fit and healthy.
You need to stay fit and care about your nutrition. It’s not just our mind that matters. I know that going to Cubana and partying for 25 days straight is crazy attractive. Yes, been there done that. I also know that you want your body to be by your side and let you do all the things you want to do. You need to treat yourself better and actually care about how your body feels. For health they say is wealth.
6. Time is not money.
Time is time. Money is money. Lose one and you can earn it back. Lose the other and it’s gone forever. Does that sound equal to you?.. Time is not money doesn’t mean you should spend your time lazing about .. Learn to utilize your time. Know when to do this at this time and when to do that at that time.
7. Learn to say NO ! ! !
Learn how to say NO at the right times. The faster you learn this, the more happy days you’ll live and the more productive your workdays will become. Trust me.
8. Don’t quit at Mistakes .. Learn from them.
You’ll make a lot of mistakes in your life. You’re better off making those errors of commission rather than omission. When you look back, you’ll be much sorrier for the things you didn’t do as opposed to those you did. Along those same lines, it won’t matter much the choices you make as much as it will the conviction in which you make them. Be committed to everything you do. Take the job you want even if it’s “risky.” and make sure you work hard towards it ..
Over time you’ll make lots of mistakes and “fail”… but, trust me, everything you want is on the other side of fear.Learn from your mistakes .. Don’t let it ruin you.
9. Learn to overcome fear and failure.
Technically, I don’t believe there is any such thing as failure. Sure, the word itself is in the dictionary, but I’ve never noticed one in my life. Perhaps it’s because I don’t believe in what I look at. I believe in how I see it. Even so, I’ll play along…the embarrassment of failure is way easier than the responsibility that comes with success. If you think you can’t, you won’t. If you think you can, you will. Even if they don’t succeed, winners still think they did. It’s not delusional. It’s called mastering your psyche. Never be afraid to try new things. Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
The only exception to this rule is trying to please everyone. You will certainly fail at that. That rule is bulletproof. No exceptions.
All I need to do is pay attention and work hard and I’ll find the success I’m looking for. Right?
10. Learn the act of Discipline.
I tend to notice two types of people—those that are disciplined and everyone else. 100% of the people in the first group eventually become successful. Some of the people in the second group do as well. Remember, what you do everyday matters more than what you do once in a while. Promotions don’t happen because of one big success.
11. Don’t work hard. Work smart and don’t expect too much.
Hard work doesn’t guarantee results. Smart work increases the likelihood of good results. Concentrate on what you do along the way and embrace the journey with no attachment to the outcome. You’ll enjoy yourself more and likely have better results. You’ll also avoid disappointments that could result from faulty expectations. Technically speaking, any outcome that didn’t occur the way you thought it would means you had faulty expectations. Faulty expectations arise for two reasons—you can’t see the future and you developed those expectations without all the necessary information. Don’t expect people to buy the best product. Don’t expect your boss to be fair. Don’t expect life to be fair.
12. Intelligence is overrated. Talent is really overrated. You only need three things to be successful—Passion, Vision, and Commitment. Contrary to what people think, you’re not born with passion. It’s grown. Vision isn’t seeing into the future. It’s making the future happen the way you want it to. Commitment is the most important item. It makes up for any shortcomings of the other two. Live every workday to the fullest. When it’s over think about how it’s moving you toward where you want to be. At any moment, don’t be afraid to change your career.
13. You can have endless dreams, but not endless priorities. It’s a great lesson for life, love, and upward management of your boss.
14. School doesn’t equal education.
Going to school helps you earn a degree. You know you have one when you can ethically place the letters after your name such as Divine Okoye B.S. of Everything. If you have to pay for someone to teach you something—anything—that’s not education. That’s paying for a degree or certification or whatever. Real education occurs when you do something you love for free or by the good graces of some employer and get paid for it. No one can teach you more than you. No one can teach you more than you. It was worth saying twice.
15. Take Accountability.
Own your stuff. Take accountability. The world would be an easier place to live if everyone did so. The word “fault” could be eliminated from the dictionary. That’d make me smile because then no one would be trying to assign it when they should first look in the mirror.
People make the world go ‘round. Sometimes you need them and sometimes you don’t. But, all the time, watch who you befriend…
16. You don’t need a mentor. No one cares about your life or your career more that you do. You can outsource a lot of things, but living your life isn’t one of them. Managing your career isn’t one either.
17. Leaders build more leaders, not more followers. “A” players hire and develop “A” players. “B” players hire and don’t develop “C” players. Protecting your turf might last for a while, but when your reign is over you’ll be far less developed for surrounding yourself with less talent. If you’re the smartest person in the room, go find another room.
18. Keep everyone’s phone number—even the people you dislike. They might be helpful someday. If given the choice between knowing the right person or having your MBA, remember that friends hire friends before they hire credentials.
19. Never treat your subordinates poorly.
I assure you someday they will be working at company you’re trying to get into. It’s also possible that someday you’ll be reporting to one of them.
20. Be happy.
You will be happy because of what you think not what happens to you. If you’re conditionally happy, you’ll have less happy days. My way, you’re happy every day. Happy people accomplish more, learn more, and are more fun to be around. Someone once asked me, “How can you be so happy so often?” I said, “Because I always think I’m happy.” I’m always right about that.
21. Life isn’t always fair. Over the long run, however, the universe is incredibly balanced. Karma also has no deadline
22. There’s no shame in quitting. Winners do it all the time. They just know the right time to move on. It’s usually right before things turn really sour. It’s also never before they’re about to a make a breakthrough. In that sense, timing might not be everything, but winners sure know how to set a clock.
That’s all … Good luck being a better person .. God bless you ..
All stories on Divplanet are Copyright protected. Get a Quick link to all episodic stories Click here