However, health experts and studies reveal that what seems like a perfectly innocent habit may be doing your health serious harm. Although you may think that checking your messages and scrolling through your Instagram account for memes may help you fall asleep faster, using your phone at night in your bed, negatively affects your vision and overall eye health.
The blue light that the mobile phone emits is sharp during the night. It does not just affect your vision but also the production of melatonin hormone, which is responsible for sleep. Before you climb into your bed tonight with your phone, consider these reasons why you should leave your phone in the other room.
1. Affects Sleep DurationThe blue light emitted by mobile phones affects the production of melatonin. Melatonin is one of the hormones that helps one to sleep and regulates the sleep cycle. Regular use of the mobile phone at night before going to sleep can lead to sleep deprivation as your mind may be overly excited or activated. Apart from that, the compulsive desire to check your phone and scrolling and refreshing can lead to a delay in bedtime and reduce your total sleep time.
2. Damages The RetinaThe blue light emitted by the mobile phone, more specifically the smart phones have the shortest wavelength that flickers more. This affects the vision and over a long period, it can even damage the retina. According to the American Macular Degeneration Association, the blue light emitted from the phones cause damage to the retinas, causing a transient/reversible vision problem
3. Increased Risk Of DepressionStaring at your phone when you are supposed to sleep not only affects your physical health but also your mental health. When the blue light from the mobile screens disrupt your hormones and sleep patterns, you also become vulnerable to developing depression. Additionally, low energy levels during the day, combined with foggy thinking because of sleep deprivation can also trigger a sense of emotional and mental weakness
4. Higher Risk Of CancerThe World Health Association stated that cell phones could be carcinogenic to humans since they emit electromagnetic radiation that has been linked to certain types of cancer. Prolonged exposure to blue light and its effect on the sleep cycle has been shown to increase the risk of brain cancer.
5. Impacts Your MemoryContradicting to its name ‘smart’ phones, overexposure to these gadgets can affect your brain. Night phone usage and disrupted sleep make it impossible for your brain to repair connections that were damaged during the day – one of the major reasons why you can’t think clearly after a night without sleep
6. Strains Your EyeWhen it is dark and you have that blue light from the mobile phone directly hitting the eyes, it causes eye strain and pain. When this is continued for long, it can permanently damage the vision as well.
On A Final Note…Technological advancements are indeed a boon, but one must be aware of using it for enhancing our lives and not affecting it negatively. Whether you need the full eight hours of rest or are one of those rare people who can wake up rested after four, it is important to keep the phone out of your bedroom. Start from today!
Tell us what you think about this in the comment section.
All stories on Divplanet are Copyright protected. Get a Quick link to all episodic stories Click here