There is great need for Cancer awareness programs as this is important for cancer prevention. – 7 most common causes and prevention of cancer
4th of Febuary of every year marks the World Cancer Day. And the purpose of this remembrance is to create awareness on cancer related information, which includes the causes, prevention and treatment of cancer.
Table of Contents
What is cancer?
Cancer is a term used to describe a group of diseases that affects the body. This occurs when the cells of the abdominal and tumor area grows outside their normal root into other organs. This is simply known as an outgrowth of cells.
Also read: 12 ways to make money using your phone
Cancer, health report
Cancer has been and has continued to be one of the leading causes of death around the world today. An estimate of around 10 million people die from cancer every year.
Reports from health organization WHO (World health organization) made it known that there are common cases of cancer which includes; breast cancer (having about 2.26 million cases), lung cancer (about 2.21 million cases), colon and rectum cancer (having about 1.93 million cases), prostate cancer (about 1.41 million cases), skin cancer (non-melanoma) (about 1.20 million cases), and stomach cancer (about 1.09 million cases).
7 most common causes and prevention of cancer
Most common causes of cancer
Genetics plays a good role in getting cancer, WHO has reported these as the most common causes of cancer:
- Ultraviolet rays and ionizing radiation
- Asbestos which can be found in walls, tiles and even ceilings
- Smoking Tobacco
- Aflatoxin – a food contaminant
- Arsenic – a water contaminant
- Infections from parasites, bacteria, and virus. An estimate shows that 13% of cancers are caused by virus-like Helicobacter pylori, human papillomavirus (HPV), hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus, and Epstein-Barr virus.
- Common Lifestyle factors like excessive tobacco and alcohol and also air pollution can lead to/cause cancer.
Most common ways to prevent cancer
- Dectecting the cancer early is one of the ways to prevent cancer from leading to death. Going for Regular checkups is important for women. There are, without doubt, various ways to check for breast cancer, and in some places pap smear for cervical cancer is free.
- Try to engage in physical activity
- Avoid tobacco at all cost
- Do not expose yourself to ultraviolet rays from the sun and some devices like tanning beds.
- Get yourself vaccinated against HPV and hepatitis B
- Avoid air pollution from especially, radioactive places like old buildings or war zones
- Make sure you eat healthily
All stories on Divplanet are Copyright protected. Get a Quick link to all episodic stories Click here